(B) The fire was not caused by arson according to a senior firefighter.
(C) Nine mentally ill patients died in the fire.
(D) People were trapped behind locked gates and barred windows.
10. (A) Two detectives investigating the case had tested positive for traces of radiation.
(B) The ex-wife and the former mother-in-law of the spy were also poisoned.
(C) The Russian businessman who met the former spy in London has fallen ill.
(D) There is a high degree of probability that it is polonium that killed the spy.
1. is jeopardizing 2. consumer protection organizations 3. welcomed development 4. protect the interests of
5. become over-dependent on professional workers 6. your self-esteem and relationships
7. the art of persistence 8. not-so-pleasant messages 9. “Don’t make a scene”
10. assertiveness training 11. When a record is scratched 12. jump to turn it off
13. in an assertive and relaxed manner 14. agrees to negotiate with you
15. in danger of being abused 16. articulate but irrelevant arguments
17. have nothing more to worry about 18. abusive or manipulative
19. a self-protective skill 20. your time and energy is precious
1. C 2. D 3. A 4. B 5. C
6. C 7. B 8. B 9. C 10. D