(D) Ralph arrived in Rome during the summer.
3. (A) We had dinner before we went to the movies.
(B) We had dinner during the movie.
(C) We walked to the movies before dinner.
(D) We took our dinner to the movies.
4. (A) I’ll send you a postcard of my hotel in Paris.
(B) Send me to get the postcard from your Paris hotel.
(C) Mail me a picture postcard of your Paris hotel.
(D) Mail the card to me from your hotel in Paris.
5. (A) Janie and her mother like liver and bacon.
(B) Janie’s mother always cooks bacon with liver.
(C) Janie hates both liver and bacon.
(D) If her mother doesn’t fix bacon, Janie will not eat liver.
6. (A) Martha spent two hours looking at TV.
(B) Martha saw two watches on TV.
(C) Martha liked the two-hour TV program.
(D) Martha turned off the TV for two hours.
7. (A) The city benefited from the rain.
(B) The rain fell softly on much of the city.
(C)The rain left too much water in much of the city.
(D) Many neighborhoods didn’t get any rain.
8. (A) The baby cries when his diaper is changed.
(B) The baby is unhappy when his diaper is soiled.
(C) Don’t change the diaper if the baby cries.
(D) Changing the baby’s diaper makes him cry.
9. (A) The meeting opened at precisely 8 p.m.
(B) 8 p.m. was too late to begin the meeting.
(C) The meeting lasted until a little after 8 p.m.
(D) The meeting was over at exactly 8 p.m.
10. (A) Begin working if you arrive before I do.
(B) Before you get here, be sure to finish the work.
(C) Come as early as possible so we can do lots of work.
(D) If you arrive early, we’ll need more time to work.
II . Talks and Conversations
Directions : In this part of the test, you will hear several short talks and conversations. After each of these, you will hear a few questions. Listen carefully, because you will hear the talk or conversation and the questions only once. When you hear a question, read the four answer choices and choose the best answer to that question. Then write the letter of the answer you have chosen in the corresponding space in your ANSWER BOOKLET.
11. (A) She paid ¥40.00 for the coat.
(B) Her husband presented it to her as a gift.
(C) She bought the cost on her fortieth birthday.
(D) He friend sent it to her as a birthday gift.
12. (A) To keep his old car and get a new one.
(B) To leave it in the garage to be repaired.
(C) To sell his car for a new one.
(D) To get his car repaired later.
13. (A) Husband and wife.
(B) Father and daughter.
(C) Doctor and patient.
(D) Teacher and student.
14. (A) The man went to the concert, but the woman didn’t.
(B) The woman went to the concert, but the man didn’t.
(C) The speakers did not go to the concert.
(D) Both speakers went to the concert.
15. (A) An English textbook.
(B) A chemistry book.
(C) A Chinese textbook.
(D) A history book.
16. (A) The woman goes to school during the day and works at night.
(B) The woman has to work to support herself.
(C) The woman’s classes are not difficult.
(D) The woman studies at night.
17. (A) She feels that he won’t accept anything.
(B) She’s sure he already has a pocket calculator.
(C) She thinks he has almost everything he wants.
(D) She’s afraid her wants more than she can afford.
18. (A) Tom survived the accident.
(B) Tom was killed in the accident.
(C) Someone saved Tom’s life.
(D) It did little damage to Tom’s car.
19. (A) The train is crowded.
(B) The train is late.
(C) The train is empty.
(D) The train is on time.
20. (A) No, all the rooms are taken.
(B) Yes, there are some spare rooms.
(C) Yes, there is a double room.
(D) Yes, there is a single room.
21. (A) Her husband had got a higher position.
(B) Her husband had lost his job.
(C) She wanted to have a cleaner house.
(D) She wanted to move to New York.
22. (A) His telephone went out of order.
(B) The buyers had to leave soon.
(C) He began to work at 8 a.m.
(D) He had made an appointment with her for 8 a.m.